What does Amendment C200moon do?

    Amendment C200moon proposes to:

    •apply the Heritage Overlay to 60 heritage places, 9 extended heritage precincts, 18 new heritage precincts and 1 serial listing

    •introduce Statements of Significance in the Schedule to the Heritage Overlay

    •update the City of Moonee Valley Permit Exemptions Policy – Heritage Overlay Precincts.

    How do I make a submission?

    Any person who may be affected by Amendment C200moon may make a written submission by:

    • filling out the survey on the your say page

     emailing: strategicplanning@mvcc.vic.gov.au


    Strategic Planning Unit 

    Moonee Valley City Council 

    PO Box 126

    Moonee Ponds, Victoria 3039

    What happens next?

    Once the exhibition period is completed, Council will take all submissions received during this period into consideration.

    If Council cannot resolve your concerns,

    they will be referred to an independent planning panel, appointed by the Minister for Planning.

    The panel will review and consider all submissions and make recommendations to Council about the amendment in the form of a report. The report and amendment will be considered by Council, and if adopted, the amendment is referred to the Minister for Planning for consideration.

    The Minister for Planning then considers whether or not to approve the amendment.

    What is the purpose of the Heritage Overlay?

    The Heritage Overlay is a statutory planning tool identifying places of heritage importance. The Heritage Overlay seeks to conserve and enhance places of natural and cultural significance, and ensure new development does not adversely affect the significance of the heritage place. The Heritage Overlay may protect just one element, such as an individual building or structure, or a number of elements, such as a group of houses or trees in a street.

    Council has legislative obligations under the Planning and Environment Act 1987 to ensure properties and precincts that have heritage value are conserved and enhanced so that they can be enjoyed by the community.

    Why is my property included in the 2017 Heritage Study?

    Your property was identified in the 2014 Heritage Gap Study or as part of the 2017 Heritage Study.

    My property is already covered by the Heritage Overlay, why am I being notified?

    The Heritage Overlay which your property is covered by, is either having additional properties added to the Heritage Overlay or your property is proposed to be part of a precinct or serial listing.

    How does the amendment affect me?

    By having the Heritage Overlay applied to your property, you may require a planning permit to:

    • demolish or relocate buildings

    • subdivide or consolidate land

    • construct or extend a building

    • make external alterations • display signage and advertising • remove trees (in some cases)

    • external painting (in some cases).

    Is a planning permit always required?

    No. A planning permit is not required to carry out routine maintenance and repairs which do not change the external appearance of the heritage property.

    If you are unsure if you require a planning permit, you can view our permit exemptions policy for Heritage Overlay precincts or contact Council for advice by calling 9243 9111. The permit exemptions policy may exempt you from requiring a planning permit to demolish a non-contributory building, undertake certain types of buildings and works or routine maintenance on a contributory building.

    We have a free heritage advisory service and will work with you to try and achieve a mutually beneficial solution.

    How do I get a planning permit for my heritage place?

    The planning permit process allows us to assess how the proposed works will impact the heritage significance of the place, and protect these properties from unsympathetic development.

    Before you can apply for a permit, you must complete a pre-application meeting form which is available from mvcc.vic.gov.au/planning  and have a meeting with a member from the Statutory Planning team. This meeting will help ensure that what you are proposing seems reasonable and that you are applying for the correct permit/s.

    What is a Statement of Significance?

    A Statement of Significance is prepared for every Heritage Overlay. The statement identifies what is significant, as well as how and why each property or precinct is significant.

    Each Statement of Significance, which forms part of Amendment C200moon, is proposed to be incorporated into the Moonee Valley Planning Scheme.

    What is a precinct?

    A heritage precinct is an area containing a number of heritage places (such as properties, structures, trees or other features) that are historically related or share common characteristics. They are commonly a group of houses from the same era or a shopping strip.

    What is a serial listing?

    A serial listing includes places that share a common history and/or characteristic, but which do not adjoin each other or form a geographical grouping. Each place in a serial listing shares a common Statement of Significance and has a single Heritage Overlay number.

    Are there different types of heritage significance?

    Yes. A place can be called either significant, contributory or non-contributory.

    What does mean if my place is called significant, contributory or non-contributory?

    A significant place is a heritage place that has cultural heritage significance independent of its context. That is, if the precinct did not exist, they are places of local significance that could be eligible for individual inclusion in the Heritage Overlay. These places may also contribute to the significance of a precinct.

    A contributory place contributes to the significance of a heritage precinct but would not be significant on its own.

    Non-contributory places do not contribute to the significance of a heritage precinct. In some instances, a significant place may be considered non-contributory within a precinct. For example, an important Modernist house within a Victorian era precinct. In other instances non-contributory places are included in precincts due to their location within the precinct.

    My property has external paint controls – what does this mean?

    External paint controls relate to the colour palettes of the era of the property. If external paint controls apply then a planning permit is required to change the property’s colour scheme.

    My property has outbuilding and/or fence controls – what does this mean?

    Certain outbuildings and/or fences contribute to the heritage significance of the property and/or precinct. You may need a planning permit for any works to these elements of your place.

    How will heritage controls affect the value of my property?

    Heritage controls identify special qualities of an area, and when preserved over time through the planning scheme, they are enhanced. Heritage areas often become highly sought after locations by people who value historical character and by people who know this character is protected by planning scheme controls.

    There may be some circumstances, however, where future development of a heritage site may be limited. This may affect a person’s decision to purchase a property.

    The introduction of heritage controls will help ensure that the rate of change in an area is consistent with heritage values, reducing the likelihood of unsympathetic developments. This increased certainty may support property values.

    How will heritage controls affect my property insurance?

    As long as buildings are structurally sound, water tight, secure and well maintained, there shouldn’t be any difficultly insuring heritage properties.

    Premiums should not be any higher than a non- heritage property. We recommend you speak to your insurance company to find out more.