The Department of Transport and Planning is enhancing service reliability and preparing the network for future improvements, with plans to introduce G Class trams on Route 59. This will deliver a more comfortable, accessible and energy-efficient journey for passengers.
To prepare for this change, the Department will need to upgrade the tram power infrastructure in Essendon by building a new tram substation near the tram network. Upgrading the tram power infrastructure will lead to smoother rides and reduce sudden stops, which can add to delays in journeys and traffic congestion.
The Department has identified a suitable site for a new tram substation within Pascoe Reserve on Pascoe Vale Road in Essendon and is now seeking feedback from the local community.
The Department wants to design and develop the substation in a way that:
- fits with the character of the local area
- uses landscaping, where possible, to integrate the facility in its setting
- minimises environmental impacts
- provides broader community benefits, where possible
- minimises construction impacts to local businesses, residents, public transport users and commuters.
To have your say and provide feedback to the Department, please visit the Engage Victoria Website.